How alternative medicine can help you conceive
Are you thinking about trying to detox but are unsure exactly what the benefits may be? When done correctly — that is to say, in a healthy, safe and controlled environment —getting your body clean and healthy can result in a wide range of positive effects.
In the 21st century, we are exposed to a more complex array of toxic compounds in our air, water, and food than ever before.
Still not convinced? Under the right circumstances, detoxing can help you...
1. Remove toxins from the body. Long-term exposure to toxins (environmental pollutants, cancer-causing chemicals, preservatives, pesticides, heavy metals, and industrial waste) affects our metabolism, behavior, immune system, and leads to disease. They are stored in tissues and cells throughout the body, including the brain, often for years – yikes!
2. Prevent chronic disease.Environmental toxins are responsible for many cancers, neurological diseases, heart disease, strokes... you name it. Our bodies do have a built-in detox function to deal with these dangers, but those systems are constantly overloaded! Detoxing assists and improves what our bodies are trying to do naturally.
3. Enhance immune system function.A compromised immune system makes us vulnerable to colds and flus, affecting our quality of life and productivity. Regular detoxing helps strengthen immune system functioning and fights off infection.
4. Lose weight.Toxins affect the body's natural ability to burn fat, leading to weight gain. Diabetes, heart disease, and high blood pressure are directly linked to weight issues. Detoxing rids the body of toxins stored in fat cells and increases metabolism.
5. Slow premature aging. Detoxing rids the body of free radicals and heavy metals partially responsible for aging. Detoxing helps to increase nutrient absorption, including antioxidants and vitamins that help fight oxidative stress.
6. Improve quality of life.Simply put, our bodies don't function very well when they're loaded with toxins. We may have joint pain, headaches, digestive disorders, sleep problems, and lack of energy. Depression may be eased and memory may be improved as a result of detoxification!
7. Increase energy. You will have more mental, physical, and emotional energy after detoxing. People tend to sleep better and need less of it.
8. Improve skin quality. Diet and environmental toxins undeniably affect skin. Detoxing improves acne, and strengthens hair and nails, and gives us a natural, healthy glow.
9. Mental and emotional clarity. When the body's systems are aligned, a shift also occurs with our mental and emotional states. We can deal with more when we're clear and grounded. We can make better decisions, analyze accurately, and see things differently.
10. Restore balance to our body's systems. Our digestive, nervous, and hormonal systems were designed to work together to achieve optimum health. This is what our bodies want to do! When we overload them with toxins and unhealthy foods, these systems don't work as well as they should and we get sick.
Detoxing brings balance back and helps our systems function properly again.
FOR MORE QUESTIONS EMAIL US : INFO@WELLFITSTUDIO.COM
What Is Acupuncture and How Can It Help You?
Here at Wellfit Acupuncture, we offer Chinese, Japanese, Korean and cosmetic acupuncture for pain relief, health and wellness.
Acupuncture involves inserted thin, sterile needles into the skin at specific points in order to facilitate healing and decrease pain. Acupuncture is believed to work by stimulating the soft tissues and nerves. It also increases localized blood flow around the insertion points and stimulates the release of endorphins, which are the body’s way of reducing pain.
Health and Wellness with Acupuncture in Boston
One of the biggest benefits of acupuncture is pain relief, especially pain that occurs in the lower back. Acupuncture has also been known to help with Fibromyalgia symptoms, headaches and migraines, allergies, neck pain, nausea and menstrual cramps.
Acupuncture at On Point Acupuncture & Wellness in Boston
Your acupuncture treatments will start with an initial evaluation to determine where you are in pain and any other symptoms you might be experiencing. Once our acupuncturist understands your needs, we will determine which type of acupuncture would best benefit you.
Chinese acupuncture is the most common form. This type of acupuncture is used to help balance every aspect of your body from your physical self to your mind and spirit.
Japanese acupuncture uses extremely thin needles and fewer needles than Chinese acupuncture. The premise of Japanese acupuncture involves the five elements of earth, fire, metal, water and wood. The elements correspond to certain areas of the body and are used to help reduce pain and facilitate health and wellness.
Korean Hand Acupuncture
Korean Hand Acupuncture only uses the hand. Needles are placed at certain points in the hand in order to treat your ailments and alleviate your pain.
Cosmetic acupuncture involves inserting needles into the skin on your face in order to improve your appearance. It can help even your skin tone, reduce acne and help reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
To schedule an appointment for acupuncture at our Boston clinic, call us at 617-266-0323
How has acupuncture helped you?
Chronic stress and its effect on aging…..
NEW RESEARCH ON STRESS AND AGEING
Women under chronic stress have significantly lower levels of klotho – a hormone that regulates ageing and enhances cognition – researchers at the University of California San Francisco have found.
The study, published this month in Translational Psychiatry, included 90 high-stress caregivers and 88 low-stress controls, most of whom were in their 30s and 40s and otherwise healthy.
Klotho is known to decline with age, but in this cross-sectional study of relatively young women, this decline only happened among the high-stress women. The low-stress women did not show a significant reduction in klotho with ageing.
Scientists know from their work in mice and worms that when klotho is disrupted, it promotes symptoms of ageing, such as hardening of the arteries and the loss of muscle and bone, and when klotho is made more abundant, the animals live longer.
“It will be important to figure out if higher levels of klotho can benefit mind and body health as we age,” said Dena Dubal, an assistant professor in the UCSF Department of Neurology and senior author of the study. “If so, therapeutics or lifestyle interventions that increase the longevity hormone could have a big impact on people’s lives.”
From clinical experience I also find that women who have suffered from prolonged stress tend to suffer more from menopausal symptoms. I hypothesize that due to the adrenal fatigue which comes from prolonged stress the adrenal glands cannot produce the required levels of oestrogen post menopause which is the normal glandular response. Stress is also a common trigger for hormonal imbalance due to the negative biofeedback system where all the glands are interconnected. When the adrenals activated in prolonged stress the reproductive system automatically begins to shut down. It is a throwback of evolution where during times of famine and stressful times the reproductive capacity of animals reduces to prevent both mother and child from suffering.
Conversely when stress is well managed through yoga, meditation, exercise and adequate sleep levels of DHEA and other antiaging hormones increase. Consistent acupuncture also works to increase these beneficial antiageing hormones.
Infertility affects approximately 6.7 million women in the United States and if you’re trying to get pregnant, you know how disappointing it can be every month to get a negative pregnancy test. But before assuming that in vitro fertilization (IVF) may be your only option which its not , it’s important to prepare your body at least 3 months prior but also rule out some of the very common and —and often treatable—causes of infertility.
Here are three possible reasons why you might be struggling to get pregnant and what you might want to do about it
1. You don’t ovulate.
Polycystic ovary syndrome, which can cause irregular menstrual cycles and an increase in male hormones, affects about 10 percent of women and is one of the most common reasons women don’t ovulate. In addition, being overweight, obese or underweight, as well as having a thyroid imbalance, can affect ovulation.
What to do: If you already know you don’t ovulate, talk to your acupuncturist. Most of the time PCOS can be treated effectively with proper nutrition, acupuncture and herbs.
2. It’s his problem.
Male factor infertility is responsible for up to a third of infertility cases. If your guy is overweight, obese or a smoker, it could be affecting your chances of getting pregnant.
What to do: See your doctor and have your partner lose weight and quit smoking . Remember you pass on everything to your child.
3. Your fallopian tubes are blocked.
When the fallopian tubes are blocked or damaged, tubal factor, which accounts for about 35 percent of infertility, occurs. Tubal factor infertility can be caused by a previous surgery, endometriosis or an STD. “Sexually transmitted diseases, especially chlamydia, years later will contribute to tubal factor infertility,” Hirshfeld-Cytron said.
What to do: “We have to make sure that the tubes are open, otherwise there’s no way for sperm and egg to communicate,” Ask your doctor to screen you for tube blockages .
Vitex increases progesterone levels by increasing LH (luteinizing hormone) levels, and it suppresses prolactin levels – the result is increased ovulatory cycles. This sounds like a perfect scenario for PCOS sufferers, but there’s a problem. Vitex can actually worsen PCOS for some because their LH levels are already high. If you know your LH level is high (if you don’t know – ask for a hormonal panel blood test from your doctor), you should not use Vitex. Most women have the kind of PCOS that is insulin-resistant and comes with high LH, and they should avoid Vitex.
When you should take Vitex if you have PCOS
If you have PCOS with normal LH levels and high prolactin levels, you might consider using Vitex. You can have your prolactin levels tested by your doctor. This kind of PCOS has a different root cause, usually inflammation from allergens like dairy and gluten or as the result of using the birth control pill. Vitex in this case can help to suppress prolactin levels and increase ovulatory cycles.
What to take instead of Vitex to manage your PCOS
There are several kinds of PCOS, but these two supplements will work for any woman with the condition.
Cinnamon – Cinnamon is a proven natural treatment for insulin-resistant PCOS. You can also add cinnamon to your oatmeal, eggs or beans and make it part of your meals.
Magnesium – Try a topical form of magnesium like those created by Ancient Minerals or the powdered form from Natural Calm. Magnesium is an essential mineral that most of us are deficient in, but it’s a proven treatment for improving insulin resistance.